Summer’s here and to most people, home cleaning is the last thing on their minds. Summer’s the perfect time to take a lazy day in the sun or splash around in the pool with the kids. But if you let home cleaning chores pile up, you’ll only have more to do later. With these simple summer cleaning tips, you’ll quickly and efficiently keep your home clean and neat throughout the summer and be prepared for the transition of the seasons.
- During the summer do you ever feel like everywhere you turn, your children seem to be underfoot? And though it’s great to have them home more, with them come sticky hands, muddy shoes and various spills and spots. Why not recruit the little rascals to help in your fight against mess and support your quest to keep a clean summer home? Try turning cleaning into a game to make it fun, or emphasize the responsibility and trust you’re placing in them to motivate them to fulfill their tasks.
- Wipe down all your air conditioning units with a damp cloth and take out the filters to see if they need cleaning or replacing. Any musty smells which lingered after a long period of disuse will disappear.
- Make sure you clean all summer specific gear which you might otherwise forget about. Things like pool floaties, swimming goggles or plastic beach toys need to be rinsed with a mild soap solution. You can also use vinegar, it’s antiseptic and non-toxic.
- It’s cookout season, so break out the grills, everyone. Mmm, finally! But before you start throwing the steaks on there give your grill a good scrub. And after every use, while it’s still warm, scrub it down with a wire brush to get any leftover grime out.
- You’re going to be spending a lot more time outdoors, whether basking in the warm weather or enjoying your meals al fresco. So make sure your patio and your patio furniture are clean by soaping them down with a mild detergent solution.
- Clean and restock your bathroom cabinets and first aid kits with fresh supplies. Things like adhesive plasters, sunscreen and insect bite solution will come in handy all summer long.
- Inspect your house and yard for any pest signs and call an exterminator if you find anything.
- If you have a play set, swing, or tree house in your backyard check them over carefully for safety and wipe them down with vinegar or a soapy solution.
- Avoid unpleasant smells caused by the rising heat by rinsing out your trashcans regularly.
- Because of the heat and humidity, mold and mildew can be real problems during the summer. Help combat them by leaving shower doors open or by letting your shower curtain dry well. If your washing machine is starting to smell a little funny, run it empty with only water and detergent and leave the washing machine door open in between washes.
Follow these simple tips and you’ll have more time to enjoy your summers with your loved ones. Home cleaning will be nothing but easy if you take it one step at a time. You’re now free to have fun in the sun, just don’t forget your sunscreen!